Share | 

Epicbos Epic Glacius Guide!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Epicbo

PostSubject: Epicbos Epic Glacius Guide!    Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Epicbos Epic Glacius Guide

Intoduction

Hello! After watching alot of people in this clan play glacius i realised that hes a popular hero in every skill level. But ive also seen so many people fail with him. So i decided to write this guide. I proably wont write it all at once, so have patience. Also excuse me for my terrible english.

Glacius is a support hero (more on what a support hero is later) that is picked alot in both low-level pubs and high-level competitive games. He got one AoE slow that deals decent damage, one spell that makes enemies take damage and unable to move/attack, a global aura that increases your and your allies mana regeneration and a decent AoE ult. Glacius is picked for his early game support and lane dominance. I guess you have proably seen that Swiftblade Glacius lane?

Glacius Role

As mentioned before, glacius is a support hero. But what exactly is a support hero? Ill try to explain.
A support hero usualy have a spell that helps his team, like glacius aura, or plague riders shield, or any kind heal. There are also support hero that doesnt have any supportive spell. Support heroes relies on spells to deal damage. This makes them strong earlygame because thats when spells deal most damage. But it also makes them weaker lategame, when people have lots of health. Support heroes doesnt need any items to be useful either, unlike "carries" (heroes like chronos, scout, darklady etc). Carries rely on thier normal attacks to do damage, while you rely on spells. There are several items that increases you normal damage, while there arent any items that increases damage done by spells (with the expection of Staff of the Master for certain heroes). So its better if you let your carries farm while you protect them or go gank with the team. More on this later.

Picking a good team

This is a hard part of the game. And its a very important too. There are so many things you need to think about when chosing heroes. Will we get strong lanes? Do we have a carry? Do we have enough support? Is there anything on the other team we need to counter? and so on.

When picking heroes, you want to get strong lanes. You need atleast one ranged hero in each lane (There are a few melee heroes that can solo middle though). You proably know that a Scout/Nighthound lane is very weak, and if they were against a Plague/Witchslayer, they would be forced out of the lane in no time. Having a ranged in each lane means you have someone to attack the opposite ranged hero back. Attacking the opponent just to get them on low health or forcing them to consume regeneration items is called harassing. Harassing is really important. It makes the enemies waste gold on regen items and its alot easier to go for a kill if a hero is on 75% health instead of 100%. It will also make it much harder for the enemies to kill you if they already are low on health.

Try to get a balanced team. Picking 5 carries does not work, you will have bad lanes and everyone cant farm at the same time. Picking 5 supports doesnt work good either, because your opponents are going to wait for lategame when your heroes arent as strong.
You should try to get atleast one hero from each role. I belive the main roles are:

Carry: Able to deal loads of damage when you have lots of item. Weak without items so you have to farm alot. Try to get one carry on your team. Two might work too, but more than that is not recommended.

Support: Strong early game. Relies on spells to deal damage. Does not need any items to be useful. Usualy have a supportive spells, such as a heal. Id suggest getting two supports, maybe 3.

Initiator: Got the ability to initiate a battle in favor of his team, by disabling or forcing people to attack you for a short time.

Ganker: Not sure this is a major role, but a ganker is a hero that are good at moving from different lanes to "ambush" enemies. Gankers usualy deal alot of damage and got some sort of disable.
Lots of heroes are good at ganking though. For example Plague is mainly a support hero, but he can gank too. Try to get some heroes with the ability to gank.

There are other sub-roles but i will not talk about them. Also remember to look at the skills the hero got instead of thier primary attribute when deciding what role they have. Not every agility is a carry and not every int is a support.

Ive also seen people say "omg 3 int gg we lose". This is so wrong. There is absolutley nothing wrong with having 3 intelligence heroes.

You might wonder, who goes to what lane?
Ill try to explain that.

Middle: You want to send someone that are good at controlling the lane by themselves to the middle lane. This hero should also be a strong ganker, or a carry. Or both. Glacius should not be mid. He is way better with another hero.

The Safe Lane: The safe lane is Legion Bot or Hellbourne Top. I call it the safe lane because you are closer to your tower. You also have the ability to pull creeps (More about this later). If you have a carry he should be in this lane so he can farm safe next to his tower. You also want a support with him to harass the other heroes. The support hero should give most of the creepkills to the carry because he needs them more. Most of the time, glacius should go to this lane together with someone that needs farm.

The Hard Lane: The Hard lane is Legion Top or Hellbourne Bot. I call it the Hard lane because now you are far away from your tower. Its much easier to get killed in this lane. Therefore you should not send you carry to this lane. In this lane you should have two strong harassers or two heroes that have high killing potential. Sometimes you to put glacius in this lane together with another strong laner to shut down thier carry by harassing and trying to kill him.

Items

+

OR

Since you are a support hero, you need to get either a Courier/Monkey or Wards of Revealation.
Both of these costs 200 gold. Usualy the one that goes to the safe lane gets the courier, and the one that goes to the hard lane gets the wards. However, if your teammates doesnt buy either wards or courier, you should buy a courier. Courier is more important than wards. If you have a courier, you can buy wards and bring them to you once you get 200 gold. Warding is really important, and its your job as support. Dont worry, later i will have a section in my guide about warding.

Now you have about 400 gold left. I usualy get 3xMinor Totems, Health Potion and Mana Potion. If i have to carry the wards, i replace one Minor totem with a mana potion.

This build gives you some health regen and some mana regen, which is very important. You also get some +3 to each attribute. This might not seem much, but even 3 damage is gonna help you lasthit/deny/harass and the small hp boost is going to save you countless of times. You also get armor, mana and attackspeed. Remember, if you are out of regen, bring some more to you with the courier.

Once you get 200 gold you should upgrade the courier. The upgraded courier is much faster and more reliable.

Keep in mind that you should let your lane mate take most of the lasthits. This means that you wont have much gold. Because of this, you cant save up for big items. Therefore i suggest you buy Marchers and Mana battery. You can buy them both at the Outpost. As you proably already know, Marchers is a must on every hero, in every game. Mana battery is so good. I cant find the words to describe how good it is. Need some mana to cast your freeze? no problem! Need some health to survive that last arrow from the evil forsaken archer? here you go! Its really a great item. It also upgrades into Power supply. Same item but better.

One thing that is really important is to have a Homecomming stone aka TP in your inventory. It only costs 135 but can save the lives of you poor teammates in the top lane who are getting ganked by that mean puppet master. Quickly teleport top and throw your spells at him. Not only is your teammates proably going to escape, you might even be able to kill him.

Puppetmaster got what he deserved! Hes now 0/1 instead of 2/0, thanks to you! Successfully turning a gank around can have a HUGE impact on the game. So remember to always carry a TP.

OR

So the laning phase is now over. There are ganks happening all the time. What items do you get now?
If you have done your job, you should now have wards up and a flying courier. You should also have let your lane mate have most creeps kills. This leaves you with barely no farm. Welcome to the support role. You work hard to survive while the carry gets all the honor. Just get used to it =)
Anyway now you need to make sure you can stay alive in fights. There is no point in getting damage items if you die in one second. You better just get items that increases your health. I recommend upgrading your Mana battery into Power supply. Then i suggest getting one or two Fortified bracelets. These gives alot of health for the price. If you need even more health you can upgrade your Marchers into Steamboots. You can also upgrade them into Plated Greaves, these gives less health but more armor. Good if they have alot of physical damage dealers.

Remember, you should not be farming now. If you miss a fight because you are farming, you are doing it wrong. Also, dont steal any creeps from someone else that needs them more. Only farm if there is none else that needs the farm more than you do close to the creeps. Oh, and remember to keep wards up!

This is how your Items could look like during mid-game:

Dont worry if your items doesnt always look like that. Sometimes you get a terrible game when you just die over and over. Then you wont afford these items until later in the game. Instead it could look like this:

No matter your farm, you should always carry a TP and keep wards up. For the remaining gold you could see if you can get some items. If you cant afford wards, ask a teammate. You can tell them to give you the ward incase they dont know where to ward.

Its getting close to lategame. You have kept wards up all game and you still have some extra gold. There are a few items i suggest getting.

Astrolabe: Costs 2306 gold. Gives decent stats and gives you the ability to heal all nearby allies for 250 damage. Might not seem too much but remember it heals allies too, so that makes it able to heal up to 1250 damage + allied creeps. Keep in mind though, that the heal gets weaker the longer the game last. Getting it 60 min into the game wont make a big difference, while getting it at 30 min could completly turn a fight around.

Nomes Wisdom: Costs 2240 gold. Simliar to astrolabe, but gives more intelligence and mana regeneration and instead of the heal it gives you an aura that makes allied units gain health everytime they cast a spell. This is also a good item for glacius. But remember that you only need one astrolabe/nomes on your team, so if someone already got nomes, get astro etc.

Tablet of Command: Costs 2040 gold. Gives decent stats and gives you the ability to push a targeted hero foward in the direction they are facing. It also interupts channeling spells. Its a good item if you know how to use the push properly. If you are unsure how to use it i suggest getting Nomes or Astrolabe instead. But its still a good pickup if the enemy have alot of channeling spellcaster like pollywog, succubus, tempest, etc.

Stormspirit: Costs 2800 gold. Gives alot of mana regeneration and some movement speed. Also gives the ability to trap someone in a cyclone, making them invurneable but unable to do anything. Can also be cast on allies. The bad thing about Stormspirit is that it doesnt give any health. And since you already have your aura, you wont need mana regeneration that badly. Its still a decent item though.

Barrier Idol: Costs 3653 gold. Decreases damage taken from spells and gives the ability to shield all allied units/hereoes nearby from 400 magic damage. This is a great item against a team that relies on magic damage. The thing is, its really expensive and you shouldnt be the one tanking spells either. Make sure none else is getting barrier before you do.

Items to avoid!

Staff of the Master: It costs 4300 gold. Too expensive. It gives a nice amount of health but the improvement on the ultimate is kind of useless. Well, not useless but there much better items to buy. Why? Because the ult is channeling and requires you to be in the middle of the battle. If someone sees you use your ult they would try to interupt you as fast as possible. And also, being in the heat of the battle is hard for a hero that is so easy to kill, aka "squishy".

If you want to make your ult better, i'd suggest getting a shrunken head. This item gives you health, damage and magic immunity. Use Shrunken head before casting your ult and it will be much, much harder to interupt you. Shrunken is good if you want to play glacius like a DPS hero instead of only support.

Skillbuild

This the usual skill build for glacius. This is where i see lots of people fail.

1: Tundra Blast
2: Ice Imprisonment
3: Chilling Presence
4: Chilling Presence
5: Chilling Precense
6: Ice Imprisonment/Glacial Downpour
7: Chilling Presence
8: Ice Imprisonment
9: Ice Imprisonment
10: Ice Imprisonment/Glacial Downpour
11: Glacial Downpour
12: Tundra Blast
13: Tundra Blast
14: Tundra Blast
15: Stats
16: Glacial Downpour
17+: Stats

Reasoning
:
For the first levels, people usualy dont spam thier spells. Therefore, the mana regen is not really needed. Its much better to have a real spell before you get the aura. Your first two spells helps you harass/kill/survive. Not getting them early as possible might get you killed or make your enemy run away with red health. Notice how i only take one level of Tundra blast early? This is because the only thing that changes is the Damage and the Manacost. The slow remains the same. And the damage is really bad compared to other spells. Therefore you pick the spell because of the slow. And the slow does not change, therefore you dont need to level the spell past 1 earlygame. The aura is best earlygame, which is why you should max it after you get your other two spells. At level 6 you get either your ultimate, or another level of the freeze. Honestly i dont know what is best. I suggest you try both and see what you prefer. After that, max the freeze because the duration increases.

Remember, Ice Imprisonment does NOT silence the target. They can still cast spells. This means heroes with spells that gives them magic immunity can get out of your freeze.

You can also cast Imprisonment on yourself and allies. It does the same as if you cast it on enemies except they dont take any damage and all damage taken is reduced by 50%. I remember saving my life by casting the spell on me when i was cursed by voodoo jester. I casted Imprisonment on myself right before the last damage tick, and i survived, which otherwise would not.

Laning Phase

The Laning Phase is the first of the three phases. The others are the Ganking Phase and the Team Battle Phase. It starts at beginning at the game and ends when most people starts to leave thier lanes to gank. It is different from game to game when each phase starts and ends.

Harassing: I mentioned this earlier. Harassing is when you attack the opponents without trying to go for a kill. This puts the enemies on lower health, which will force them to either take a regen item to regain the lost health (wasting gold) or play more safe to avoid getting killed. Because its much easier to kill a hero if they are on 75% health instead of 100%. It also makes them think twice before trying to kill you. Remember that you can harass with your spells too.

Babysitting: This is when you are laning with another hero that is weak at start. Usualy a carry. Your job is to protect them while they farm. You do this by harassing the opponents. While babysitting, you should leave most of the lasthits to the one you are babysitting, and only focus on denies and harassing. Glacius should be babysitting in almost every game. Unless you are laning with another support.

Lasthitting/Denying: Denying is important, and you should always try to deny creeps. Because it makes you outlevel your opponents, giving you an advantage over them.
You should only try to lasthit the enemy creeps that the one you are laning with cant reach.

Autoattacking: You should NEVER autoattack the creeps. This will push the lane closer to thier tower, putting you in a more vurneable position. It can also screw up lasthits and make it easier for the opponents to lasthit creeps.

However it is good to autoattack your own creeps once they reach 50% health (before they reach 50%, you cant attack them). This will make them die faster, resulting in the creeps getting pushed closer to your tower. However dont do this if it is going to help the opponents to lasthit the creep.

Creeppulling: You need to be legion bot or hellbourne top to do this. What you do is that you make the neutral in the camp closest to the lane attack you. Then you move to your creeps when they pass the camp. Your creeps is now going to attack the neutrals. You should be staying to lasthit the neutrals while the other person in your lane should stay at the tower and deal with the enemy creeps.
Be careful, the opponents will notice what you are doing, and most of the time they will try to prevent this.

Creeppulling is good because it gives the one who is pulling experience and gold from the neutrals, while the one who is at the tower is getting twice as much experience as usual. Also, everyone of your creeps that gets killed by the neutrals wont give the enemies any experience.
This is a great way to outlevel your opponents.

(Picture here)

To do a creeppull, draw the neutrals to the lane when the clock is x:15 or x:45. It doesnt matter if you are a few seconds late or early.

Sometimes in pubs around 1600 PSR and higher, the pull camp is blocked by a ward. In competitive games, the pull camp is pretty much always warded. More about blocking camps below.

Stacking: Stacking is when you make a neutral creepcamp spawn several times.
The creepcamps spawns for the first time at 0:30, and then respawns every minute when there arent anything nearby (1:00, 2:00, 3:00 etc). This includes anything, even wards and corpses. So to stack a camp you need to "pull" away the creeps right before the new ones spawn. It might take some practice to learn how far away you need to pull the creeps. I think that you only stack a camp twice.

You can also double stack (and even triplestack), by pulling two or three camps at once.
(video here to show triplestacking).

Stacking is good because it helps your team to farm. Instead of running to 3 different camps the carry can kill the same amount on creeps in one camp. It might not sound amazing but it can really help certain heroes farm.

You can also doublestack the camp closest to the lane, and then creeppull. A double stacked camp usualy kill the whole creep wave. So that equals to a fully denied creep wave for your opponents. This will really give you a level advantage.

Ganking the middle lane: This is very rare in low-level pubs. But ganking mid from the side-lanes is easier than going from mid to gank the side-lanes. Its easier to gank mid if you are legion top or hellbourne bot. Before you gank mid, check if there is a rune. Anything but regen will make the ganking much easier. Even if you dont mange to kill the other mid, he might have go back to his base, which your mid solo some free lasthits and experience.

TO BE CONTINUED!

Last edited by Epicbo on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:19 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Epicbo

PostSubject: Re: Epicbos Epic Glacius Guide!    Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:05 pm

Reserved if needed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Epicbo

PostSubject: Re: Epicbos Epic Glacius Guide!    Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:59 am

Oops i accedently another post S:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yoshu

PostSubject: Re: Epicbos Epic Glacius Guide!    Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:11 pm

u sure this is yours? cause i feel its a copy and paste job Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dominatrixia
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Epicbos Epic Glacius Guide!    Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:03 am

Epicbo wrote:

Items to avoid![/b]

Staff of the Master
Stopped reading sir , L2p glacius please
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://symbiosis.roflforum.net
Epicbo

PostSubject: Re: Epicbos Epic Glacius Guide!    Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:07 am

Yoshu wrote:

Yes i've written it all by myself.

Domi staff is a bad item because its too expensive for glacius. And if you want to improve the ult you should rather buy a shrunken to make it more reliable.

Please post more feedback. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dominatrixia
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Epicbos Epic Glacius Guide!    Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:14 am

Epicbo wrote:
Yoshu wrote:

Yes i've written it all by myself.

Domi staff is a bad item because its too expensive for glacius. And if you want to improve the ult you should rather buy a shrunken to make it more reliable.

Please post more feedback. Smile
Sarcasm sir , sarcasm Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://symbiosis.roflforum.net
WindRaven

PostSubject: Re: Epicbos Epic Glacius Guide!    Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:10 pm

I require portkey + shrunken head to be recommended in this guide.

REQUIRE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Epicbos Epic Glacius Guide!    

Back to top Go down

Epicbos Epic Glacius Guide!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Clan Symbiosis :: Heroes Of Newerth :: Strategies and Guides-
Jump to: